Yambo 5.0 is a major release that comes with many new features and changes in the code. This becomes immediately evident browsing the yambo github repository. So far the GPL repository was a container of the released code extracted from the development repository. Since 2021 and yambo 5.0 the GPL and devel repository are fully in sync (with the minor exception of the dissipation mechanisms in real-time dynamics simulations). Browsing the contributors’ section the very large activity in the repository is now explicitly shown, with the whole history of commits in the YAMBO code.
The new release includes:
- a reorganization of the executables. For example yambo_kerr is now part of the yambo executable and there is no need anymore, for the users, to distinguish the two;
- an improved command line for the generation of the input files;
- the extended release of projects (such as yambo_rt and yambo_ph) for which the gpl version was, so far, limited;
- the release of new projects contained in the self-consistent module of the Yambo code, the yambo_sc executable. The new yambo_sc also includes the “magnetic” and “electric” projects previously known to developers as part of yambo_magnetic and yambo_electric;
- several improvements to the core part of the Yambo code (GW and BSE)
- extended CUDA support.
This is a drastic change in the code release philosophy. Until now, Yambo releases just included features which had been used to produce published results. From now on it will also contain experimental features. A small price to pay is that not all the new features are fully tested or supported. However, we believe that their release can be useful for the progress of the Yambo code, for the users’ community, and for new developments which can, in turn, boost the research in condensed matter physics of the whole scientific community. We are also confident that the Yambo users’ community will provide valuable help in testing and improving such experimental features.
The YAMBO Team acknowledges financial support from the MaX Centre of Excellence which made this release possible.
The complete release notes can be found here or in this document.
Other info can be found in the new Yambo 5.0 cheat-sheet
Main reference: last yambo paper.