SCF Grid Size and Yambo Memory Consumption

Concerns issues with computing quasiparticle corrections to the DFT eigenvalues - i.e., the self-energy within the GW approximation (-g n), or considering the Hartree-Fock exchange only (-x)

Moderators: Davide Sangalli, andrea.ferretti, myrta gruning, andrea marini, Daniele Varsano

jmullen

SCF Grid Size and Yambo Memory Consumption

Post by jmullen » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:51 am

Greetings all,

Two quick questions:

1) Can I run a GW calculation (and import using p2y, of course) with the results of a band structure calculation in Quantum Espresso using 'nscf' and only manually selected k-points, or can I only use the grid results from 'scf'?

2) Is there a "back of the envelope" calculation I can use to estimate the memory required to run a GW correction to a QE bandstructure (to help define the Yambo input variables)? I cannot afford trial and error on computers which bank my usage time.

Regards
Jeff Mullen
Physics
NCSU
Jeff Mullen
NCSU Physics

claudio

Re: SCF Grid Size and Yambo Memory Consumption

Post by claudio » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:57 am

>1) Can I run a GW calculation (and import using p2y, of course) with the results of a band structure calculation in Quantum Espresso using 'nscf' and only >manually selected k-points, or can I only use the grid results from 'scf'?

you need the full regular grid in the calculation of the dielectric constant, but then you can select single k-point of the same grid to calculate
GW corrections. If you want GW corrections to other k-points not in the grid you have to shift the grid on these points in order to have the same q-points.

>2) Is there a "back of the envelope" calculation I can use to estimate the memory required to run a GW correction to a QE bandstructure (to help define the Yambo >input variables)? I cannot afford trial and error on computers which bank my usage time.

try small tests with few plane waves and bands

ciao
claudio
Claudio Attaccalite
[CNRS/ Aix-Marseille Université/ CINaM laborarory / TSN department
Campus de Luminy – Case 913
13288 MARSEILLE Cedex 09
web site: http://www.attaccalite.com

Daniele Varsano

Re: SCF Grid Size and Yambo Memory Consumption

Post by Daniele Varsano » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:19 am

Dear Jeff,
1) Can I run a GW calculation (and import using p2y, of course) with the results of a band structure calculation in Quantum Espresso using 'nscf' and only manually selected k-points, or can I only use the grid results from 'scf'?
There is not any problem to perform GW calculations with electronic structures coming from "nscf". The only
issue you have to take care is to have an uniform sampling of the Bz.

Daniele

PS: Claudio, please add your affiliation in the signature.
Dr. Daniele Varsano
S3-CNR Institute of Nanoscience and MaX Center, Italy
MaX - Materials design at the Exascale
http://www.nano.cnr.it
http://www.max-centre.eu/