Convergence test between Yambo and BerkeleyGW

Concerns issues with computing quasiparticle corrections to the DFT eigenvalues - i.e., the self-energy within the GW approximation (-g n), or considering the Hartree-Fock exchange only (-x)

Moderators: Davide Sangalli, andrea.ferretti, myrta gruning, andrea marini, Daniele Varsano

lesheng

Convergence test between Yambo and BerkeleyGW

Post by lesheng » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:31 pm

Hi everyone,

Last month I attended BerkeleyGW workshop hold by UC Berkeley, and during that workshop, I was quit confused on the convergence test between these two code. Based on the tutorial of Si calculation with Yambo, when the NGsBlk goes to 7 Ry the band gap will be converged. But with BerkeleyGW, the band gap will not converge until the same parameter goes to 20 Ry. The same situation also happens on empty band number, the one for BerkeleyGW is much higher than that from Yambo. However, the final result (band gap) from these two codes are close. I tried to ask the developer of their code, but it seems like they don't want to answer this kind of question... So I wish someone could help me on this here... Any reply will be helpful.

Best,
lesheng
PhD candidate
209 South Rd, Chapel Hill, NC 27599
Department of Chemistry
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Email: leshengl@live.unc.edu

Daniele Varsano

Re: Convergence test between Yambo and BerkeleyGW

Post by Daniele Varsano » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:41 pm

Dear Lehseng,
sorry, but I do not have knowledge on the GW implementation in BerkleyGW. May some user with experience in both codes can help you.
Best,
Daniele
Dr. Daniele Varsano
S3-CNR Institute of Nanoscience and MaX Center, Italy
MaX - Materials design at the Exascale
http://www.nano.cnr.it
http://www.max-centre.eu/

lesheng

Post by lesheng » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:48 pm

Hi Daniele,

Thanks for your attention. I realize that this kind of question indeed need people who has experience in both codes. But beside of this, do you have any guess about this issue?

Thanks,
lesheng
Daniele Varsano wrote:Dear Lehseng,
sorry, but I do not have knowledge on the GW implementation in BerkleyGW. May some user with experience in both codes can help you.
Best,
Daniele
PhD candidate
Department of Chemistry

Daniele Varsano

Post by Daniele Varsano » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:26 pm

Dear Lesheng,
looking at this paper:
Stankovski et al. PHYSICAL REVIEW B 84, 241201(R) (2011), in particular at Fig.1, the abinit people show different convergence parameter needed to converge GW gaps using different plasmo pole approximations. From here it looks that more bands and Gvectors are needed to converge the Hybersten-Louie model of the Plasmon Pole (which is probably the one used in BerkeleyGW) which relies in sum-rules, with respect the Godby-Needs model (the one implemented in Yambo). This could be an explication of the different convergences. But it is a just a guess: as I wrote you before, I do not have knowledge about the Berkeley GW implementation.
Best,
Daniele
Dr. Daniele Varsano
S3-CNR Institute of Nanoscience and MaX Center, Italy
MaX - Materials design at the Exascale
http://www.nano.cnr.it
http://www.max-centre.eu/

lesheng

Post by lesheng » Tue May 27, 2014 9:49 pm

Daniele Varsano wrote:Dear Lesheng,
looking at this paper:
Stankovski et al. PHYSICAL REVIEW B 84, 241201(R) (2011), in particular at Fig.1, the abinit people show different convergence parameter needed to converge GW gaps using different plasmo pole approximations. From here it looks that more bands and Gvectors are needed to converge the Hybersten-Louie model of the Plasmon Pole (which is probably the one used in BerkeleyGW) which relies in sum-rules, with respect the Godby-Needs model (the one implemented in Yambo). This could be an explication of the different convergences. But it is a just a guess: as I wrote you before, I do not have knowledge about the Berkeley GW implementation.
Best,
Daniele
Hi Daniele,

Sorry I just see your reply today. And thanks for giving me this reference, I'll have a look at it.

Cheers,
Lesheng Li
PhD candidate
Department of Chemistry