Norm-conserving pseudopotentials

Concerns any physical issues arising during the setup step (-i option). This includes problems with symmetries, k/q-point sets, and so on. For technical problems (running in parallel, etc), refer to the Technical forum.

Moderators: Davide Sangalli, andrea.ferretti, myrta gruning, Daniele Varsano

amolina

Norm-conserving pseudopotentials

Post by amolina » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:52 am

Dear users and developers,

I have tried to use the yambo tool p2y with quantum espresso pseudopotentials but Yambo told me:
Error in check_pseudo : Mo.pw91-n-van.UPF file not norm conserving!
This brings to me the following question:
what is the reason of not reading not norm-conserving pseudos? Is there any way of using vanderbilt pseudopotentials?

Cheers,

Alejandro.
Alejandro Molina-Sánchez
Institute of Materials Science (ICMUV)
University of Valencia, Spain

andrea marini

Re: Norm-conserving pseudopotentials

Post by andrea marini » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:56 am

Dear Alejandro,

unfortunately no norm conserving pseudo requires the rebuilding of the core region of the wavefunctions. Altough this feature could be coded it is not currently implemented in Yambo.

Andrea
Andrea MARINI
Istituto di Struttura della Materia, CNR, (Italy)

burkzdemir

Post by burkzdemir » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:47 am

For example what happens if I change the definition in the pseudo potential file from ultra-soft to norm-conserving in order to avoid Yambo to complain? Would it work in independent-particle approximation? Because the norm-conserving pp of Na atom (the one in the QE PP library) is not good (low transferability) for the case I need. And so far I could not generate a good one.
Burak Ozdemir
Post-doc,
University of Nantes, France

Daniele Varsano

Post by Daniele Varsano » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:21 am

Dear Burak,
I do not think this is a good idea, the wave-functions read by yambo would be not correct and consequently the dipole matrix elements in the independent-particle absorption spectrum <i|r|j>. If you are interested in Independent Particle approximation, you can have look to the quantum-espresso utility epsilon.x, but check first (manual, forums) if it works with Ultrasoft pseudos, as I'm not sure about that.

Best,
Daniele
Dr. Daniele Varsano
S3-CNR Institute of Nanoscience and MaX Center, Italy
MaX - Materials design at the Exascale
http://www.nano.cnr.it
http://www.max-centre.eu/