How to continue a BSK calculation?

Run-time issues concerning Yambo that are not covered in the above forums.

Moderators: myrta gruning, andrea marini, Daniele Varsano, Conor Hogan

gfluo

How to continue a BSK calculation?

Post by gfluo » Mon May 16, 2011 11:02 am

Dear friends,

Recently I carry out a very time-consuming (over three months) BSE calculation and for machine maintaining reason I stopped yambo in the middle of the BSK part calculation. Though it is said that yambo can continue the calculation automatically, I found it is impossible in this part, at least not possible by just rerunning it.

The cause seems that yambo simply checks the existence of the db.BS_Q1 file, which is created at the very beginning of the BSK calculation: If exists, yambo thinks that the BSK calculation finished and does nothing; If not, yambo will start this calculation from scratch. I did several tests and still have not figured out how to solve this problem. Could you please enlighten me?

P.S. I am using the latest yambo-3.2.3-rev.11; This post (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=126) described similar situation, except that there many of the first-calculated fragments (like *1_1, *1_2) are missing while in my case the end of fragments (like *200_199, *200_200) are unfinished.

Sincerely,
Guangfu Luo
Institute for Molecular Science
National Institutes of Natural Sciences
38 Nishigo-Naka, Myodaiji, Okazaki 444-8585, Japan

andrea marini

Re: How to continue a BSK calculation?

Post by andrea marini » Wed May 18, 2011 7:45 am

gfluo wrote: Recently I carry out a very time-consuming (over three months) BSE calculation and for machine maintaining reason I stopped yambo in the middle of the BSK part calculation.
Though it is said that yambo can continue the calculation automatically, I found it is impossible in this part, at least not possible by just rerunning it.
THREE MONTHS! WoW :shock: Well I wrote Yambo to be restarted in reasonable cases. I cannot even immagine how many fragmentes, I/O etc. etc. you have produced in three months. So it is a miracle that you actually managed to run for THREE months.

But, for my curiosity, tell us more about the run. How many atoms, G-vectors, processoros. How big is the Hamiltonian? Can you attach the report and the log file of the calculation ? What Machine are you using ?
gfluo wrote: The cause seems that yambo simply checks the existence of the db.BS_Q1 file, which is created at the very beginning of the BSK calculation: If exists, yambo thinks that the BSK calculation finished and does nothing; If not, yambo will start this calculation from scratch. I did several tests and still have not figured out how to solve this problem. Could you please enlighten me?
It should not be like this. But I checked in the repository hosted on qe-forge and I noticed that in revisions 12 and 14 (now the latest is rev. 11) I fixed the use of fragments in an MPI calculation. Maybe this can solve your problem. Would you bne so kind to register on the qe-forge portal and download the latest revision (16) from the SVN repository ? Soon we will also release a new version.

Cheers

Andrea
Andrea MARINI
Istituto di Struttura della Materia, CNR, (Italy)

gfluo

Post by gfluo » Thu May 19, 2011 7:56 am

Dear Dr. Andrea,

Thanks very much for your reply. The system I am studying is an 18-carbon-atom low dimensional material with relatively large vacuum space. After doing some convergence tests, I found it requires a very small k-point spacing and therefore very large memory, especially in the BSE solver part by using diagonalization. I carried it out on an 8-core cluster, only which has a 64-GB memory. The log and report files are attached for your inspection.

I did tests with both yambo-3.2.2-rev5 and yambo-3.2.3-rev11, and both of them act as I described before. For your convenience, I also attached a test file of the 3D LiF system (in a separate post because of the attachment size limit), which can be finished in minutes.

I registered in qe-forge.org with a username of gfluo but cannot find the yambo revision 16 (see http://qe-forge.org/frs/?group_id=34). Could you please direct me?

Sincerely,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guangfu Luo

gfluo

Post by gfluo » Thu May 19, 2011 8:02 am

Dear Dr. Andrea,

The attached is the test input files of Abinit and Yambo I used.

Sincerely,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guangfu Luo

andrea marini

Post by andrea marini » Tue May 24, 2011 7:44 am

gfluo wrote: I registered in qe-forge.org with a username of gfluo but cannot find the yambo revision 16 (see http://qe-forge.org/frs/?group_id=34). Could you please direct me?
You need to join the Yambo project and, then, you will get access to the SVN repository. I have made more clear the instructions on the download page. Try following them and ket us know if you have problems.

Andrea
Andrea MARINI
Istituto di Struttura della Materia, CNR, (Italy)

gfluo

Post by gfluo » Wed May 25, 2011 12:22 pm

Dear Dr. Andrea,

Today, I surprisingly find that a new version, yambo-3.2.4-rev.17, is available on the website. So I install it and try the former test. The outcome is great: the BSK part can finally be continued smoothly in this version! :)

You help me save a lot of time. Thanks so much!

Sincerely,
Guangfu Luo