GW calculations reduce the band gap

Concerns issues with computing quasiparticle corrections to the DFT eigenvalues - i.e., the self-energy within the GW approximation (-g n), or considering the Hartree-Fock exchange only (-x)

Moderators: Davide Sangalli, andrea.ferretti, myrta gruning, andrea marini, Daniele Varsano

Guo_BIT

GW calculations reduce the band gap

Post by Guo_BIT » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:26 am

Dear developers:
In my calculation, the GW correction reduces the bandgap. I’m not sure if this result is reasonable or if it is due to an issue with my input files.
I have attached my GW input file and results. Thank you in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jingda Guo
Beijing Institute of Technology

Daniele Varsano

Re: GW calculations reduce the band gap

Post by Daniele Varsano » Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:34 pm

Dear Jingda Guo,

this is indeed rather unusual. I would anyway carefully check the convergences.
Here goes some suggestions.

1. VXCRLvcs possibly should be kept to the maximum number of G vectors (cutoff of the density)
2. EXXRLvcs, check the convergence, this is not time and memory intensive and can be raised
3. Number of bands in X and G, even if you used a terminator technique, check if it is at convergence
4. if your pseudopotential have non-linear core correction, you need to activate them to take into account with the keyword: UseNLCC
5. If your system is a 2D material, you want to use the coulomb cutoff technique in order to speed up convergence with repsect the amount of vacuum needed to isolate the monolyaer.

Not related with the result:
In X and SE parallelization, avoid parallelization over "q" as it could bring unbalances. In general, push as you can the parallelization over bands "c" and "v" in X and "b" in SE.

Best,

Daniele
Dr. Daniele Varsano
S3-CNR Institute of Nanoscience and MaX Center, Italy
MaX - Materials design at the Exascale
http://www.nano.cnr.it
http://www.max-centre.eu/