Checking VXCRLvcs convergence

Concerns issues with computing quasiparticle corrections to the DFT eigenvalues - i.e., the self-energy within the GW approximation (-g n), or considering the Hartree-Fock exchange only (-x)

Moderators: Davide Sangalli, andrea.ferretti, myrta gruning, andrea marini, Daniele Varsano

milesj

Checking VXCRLvcs convergence

Post by milesj » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:52 pm

Hello,

In the Hartree Fock tutorial, it recommends checking E_xc in the yambo output against a corresponding value in the quantum espresso output to confirm VXCRLvcs is large enough. The only possible corresponding value I see is "xc contribution", which is printed at the end of the scf run. For all of my runs, these values don't seem to match - the quantum espresso output is about -265 Ry, whereas in yambo it is about -196 Ry.

I also decided to check if these values match for a few other materials: Silicon, hBN, and MoS2. For the input files and pseudopotentials I used, for some reason the values matched for MoS2, but were very different for Silicon and hBN. What could be causing this difference? It doesn't seem like a convergence issue - for my material when VXCRLvcs goes from 200000 to 400000, the value of E_xc stays around -196 Ry.

I've attached my quantum espresso input and output for hBN, as well as the yambo output.

Best,
Miles
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Miles Johnson
California Institute of Technology
PhD candidate in Applied Physics

Daniele Varsano

Re: Checking VXCRLvcs convergence

Post by Daniele Varsano » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:29 am

Dear Miles,

a possibility here is that you are using pseudopotentials containing non-linear core corretions.
In this case you need to activate their use in Yambo uncommenting the flag "UseNLCC".
Best,

Daniele
Dr. Daniele Varsano
S3-CNR Institute of Nanoscience and MaX Center, Italy
MaX - Materials design at the Exascale
http://www.nano.cnr.it
http://www.max-centre.eu/