GW calculations from Quantum Espresso, using ibrav=5

Concerns issues with computing quasiparticle corrections to the DFT eigenvalues - i.e., the self-energy within the GW approximation (-g n), or considering the Hartree-Fock exchange only (-x)

Moderators: Davide Sangalli, andrea.ferretti, myrta gruning, andrea marini, Daniele Varsano

Joe_Page_93

GW calculations from Quantum Espresso, using ibrav=5

Post by Joe_Page_93 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:03 pm

Hi All,

I am calculating the electronic structure of a material using Quantum Espresso. While defining the symmetry of the system I am using ibrav = 5, which corresponds to a rhombohedral lattice type.

The SCF and NSCF calculations both run and finish, with no errors (I am using an automatic k-point grid). After performing p2y, and the yambo initialization command I want to get the HF convergences, however when I do the command 'yambo -x -F hf.in' the hf.in file is empty (apart from the yambo header).

I have assessed the r_setup file (and r_setup_1, as i had 80 k-points, so had to use the yambo -fatlog command), and there doesn't seem to be any errors in it (see attached).

Is there something I am missing about the symmetry, as it works great when I use ibrav=4. Or have I done something else wrong that causing the problem.

Thanks you all,
Joe Page
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dr. Joseph A. Page, Research Associate, Department of Physics, Loughborough University, UK

Daniele Varsano

Re: GW calculations from Quantum Espresso, using ibrav=5

Post by Daniele Varsano » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:21 am

Dear Joe,
the problem here is due to the fact that Yambo does not recognize your k point grid as uniform:
see at the end of the setup report:

Code: Select all

X grid is uniform                                : no
You can try to remove all your ndb.* databases and run again the setup adding the keyword (NoDiagSC ) in the setup input file, or generate the input file using:

yambo -i -V all 
and uncomment that variable.

In this way, Yambo use a different algorithm to make the set-up for non-diagonal cell. See if this solves the problem.

Best,
Daniele
Dr. Daniele Varsano
S3-CNR Institute of Nanoscience and MaX Center, Italy
MaX - Materials design at the Exascale
http://www.nano.cnr.it
http://www.max-centre.eu/

Joe_Page_93

Post by Joe_Page_93 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:03 pm

Dear Daniele,

I have performed a number of different tests based on what you sent. The first was to reduce the nscf k-point grid to 3x3x3, which resulted in the HF.in file working, but the overall GW band structure is not quite correct.

So I increased the nscf k-point grid, generated the save file, then used what you sent me. So I used the command 'yambo -i -V all', and put 'NoDiagSC' in the file. Ran yambo using 'yambo -F yambo.in', which seemed to solve the X grid is uniform issue, finally removing the ndb.* files from the SAVE folder.

I then ran the 'yambo -x -F hf.in' command and the final generated only has the 'setup' word in it.

I have attached the r_setup file and the new HF.in file.

Have I gone wrong somewhere along the way?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dr. Joseph A. Page, Research Associate, Department of Physics, Loughborough University, UK

Daniele Varsano

Post by Daniele Varsano » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:13 am

Dear Joseph,

looking at the setup report it seems the issue it is not solved:

X grid is uniform                                : no
My suggestion here is:
1. remove the ndb* in the SAVE directory
2. Build a yambo_setup.in input file containing only:

setup                            # [R] Initialization
NoDiagSC 
3. run yambo -F yambo_setup.in

and see id you finally get a "yes" in the X grid is uniform.

Best,
Daniele
Dr. Daniele Varsano
S3-CNR Institute of Nanoscience and MaX Center, Italy
MaX - Materials design at the Exascale
http://www.nano.cnr.it
http://www.max-centre.eu/