Some convergence problems

Concerns issues with computing quasiparticle corrections to the DFT eigenvalues - i.e., the self-energy within the GW approximation (-g n), or considering the Hartree-Fock exchange only (-x)

Moderators: Davide Sangalli, andrea.ferretti, myrta gruning, andrea marini, Daniele Varsano

WEIW

Some convergence problems

Post by WEIW » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:49 am

Dear Daniele,
I am calculating the band structure of monolayer MoS2, and I have some questions to ask.
(1)I found that the calculation would become very slow after adding SOC, so whether the convergence test could be conducted without adding SOC. These measured parameters are then applied to the system with SOC.
(2)After the HF calculation, I found in the report file that the system without SOC was an indirect band-gap semiconductor (in fact, single-layer MoS2 was a direct band-gap semiconductor), and the minimum value of the direct band-gap of the system with SOC was equal to the minimum value of the indirect band-gap. I didn't know what the problem was.
(3)Finally, there was an error when I calculated GW-PPA. Could you please help me to find out what the problem is?
[ERROR] STOP signal received while in :[06] Dipoles

[ERROR] File ./2D_WR_WC//ndb.dipoles; Variable NOT DEFINED; NetCDF: HDF error
I have uploaded three attachments, there are two for the second question and one for the third question.

Best,
LIU
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dr. LIU Hongling
School of Physics, Shandong University
Jinan, CHINA

Daniele Varsano

Re: Some convergence problems

Post by Daniele Varsano » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:30 am

Dear Liu,

*please note that without SO you have an indirect gap already ad DFT level, this is because VBM at K and Gamma are nearly degenerate and the gamma VBM energy is slightly larger. I do not know if this an expected results, you can check the literature and eventually fine tuning your scf QE calculation.

* You are using psuedopotential with NLCC, this is discouraged as some inconsistencies arise as they are included in the Vxc but not in the HF part (same reason why it is discouraged in QE for hybrid calculations). You can find oncvpsp psuedo without non linear core corrections at: http://www.quantum-simulation.org/potentials/sg15_oncv/

*About the error in dipoles it is not straightforward to understand the reason. My suggestion is to update to the last version of the code 5.0 and see if the problem persists. You can download the last snapshot of the code at:

Code: Select all

git clone git@github.com:yambo-code/yambo.git yambo
*Note that in the r-HF-no soc you have weird orthonormalisation:

Code: Select all

[WF-HF/Rho loader] Normalization (few states)  min/max  : 10.00000  -1.00000
as above, try the new version of the code and see if the problem persists.

*Note that in your HF calculation with SOC you did not include the coulomb cutoff. I can also see that the HF terms are not calculated but read from a previous calculation, that it is probably ok, but just to be aware.

*Finally I suggest you to use a larger box side in the cutoff coulomb cutoff e.g. zcut=48 a.u.

Best,
Daniele
Dr. Daniele Varsano
S3-CNR Institute of Nanoscience and MaX Center, Italy
MaX - Materials design at the Exascale
http://www.nano.cnr.it
http://www.max-centre.eu/