Allocation attempt of negative size

Having trouble compiling the Yambo source? Using an unusual architecture? Problems with the "configure" script? Problems in GPU architectures? This is the place to look.

Moderators: Davide Sangalli, andrea.ferretti, myrta gruning, andrea marini, Daniele Varsano, Conor Hogan, Nicola Spallanzani

Forum rules
If you have trouble compiling Yambo, please make sure to list:
(1) the compiler (vendor and release: e.g. intel 10.1)
(2) the architecture (e.g. 64-bit IBM SP5)
(3) if the problems occur compiling in serial/in parallel
(4) the version of Yambo (revision number/major release version)
(5) the relevant compiler error message
Lorenzo Bastonero

Allocation attempt of negative size

Post by Lorenzo Bastonero » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:01 am

Dear all,

I am currently running Yambo on Marconi 100. When calculating the GW corrections, the calculation stops with this error message:

P1-r220n19: [ERROR] STOP signal received while in[07] Dynamic Dielectric Matrix (PPA)
P1-r220n19: [ERROR]Allocation attempt of WF%c of negative size.

The calculation is being done for an interface with PPA, 20ry and 3000 bands for X, 1500 Gbnds with terminator BG. When I was running convergence tests and calculating the corrections for two point I got no issues.

Do you have any suggestions on how resolve the problem?

Thanks for your precious time.

Kind regards,

Lorenzo

Daniele Varsano

Re: Allocation attempt of negative size

Post by Daniele Varsano » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:31 pm

Dear Lorenzo,
please sign your posts with your affiliation, this is a rule of the forum and you can do once for all by filling your signature in the user profile.
It seems you are running out of memory. If you post your input/report and log we can have a look and see if that can be overcome by carefully setting the parallelization strategy or other settings.

Please note that the terminator BG is not ported on GPU for the G, but still running on CPU, while it is possible it is broken for the X.
Best,
Daniele
Dr. Daniele Varsano
S3-CNR Institute of Nanoscience and MaX Center, Italy
MaX - Materials design at the Exascale
http://www.nano.cnr.it
http://www.max-centre.eu/