--enable-par-linalg but SERIAL linear algebra at runtime

Having trouble compiling the Yambo source? Using an unusual architecture? Problems with the "configure" script? Problems in GPU architectures? This is the place to look.

Moderators: Davide Sangalli, andrea.ferretti, myrta gruning, andrea marini, Daniele Varsano, Conor Hogan, Nicola Spallanzani

Forum rules
If you have trouble compiling Yambo, please make sure to list:
(1) the compiler (vendor and release: e.g. intel 10.1)
(2) the architecture (e.g. 64-bit IBM SP5)
(3) if the problems occur compiling in serial/in parallel
(4) the version of Yambo (revision number/major release version)
(5) the relevant compiler error message
mrefiore

--enable-par-linalg but SERIAL linear algebra at runtime

Post by mrefiore » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:28 am

Dear Yambo developers and users,

I have recently compiled Yambo on a local cluster specifying --enable-par-linalg in the configure command. I didn't specify any external mathematical library and the report I got accordingly shows that they were compiled in their internal version:

# > MATH: (Internal FFTW3)
#
# [ Ic] FFT : /home/mrefiorentin/yamboA/yambo-4.4.0/lib/external/gfortran/mpifort/lib/libfftw3.a
# -I/home/mrefiorentin/yamboA/yambo-4.4.0/lib/external/gfortran/mpifort/include/
# [ Ic] BLAS : /home/mrefiorentin/yamboA/yambo-4.4.0/lib/external/gfortran/mpifort/lib/libblas.a
# [ Ic] LAPACK : /home/mrefiorentin/yamboA/yambo-4.4.0/lib/external/gfortran/mpifort/lib/liblapack.a
# [ Ic] SCALAPACK : /home/mrefiorentin/yamboA/yambo-4.4.0/lib/external/gfortran/mpifort/lib/libscalapack.a
# [ Ic] BLACS : /home/mrefiorentin/yamboA/yambo-4.4.0/lib/external/gfortran/mpifort/lib/libblacs.a /home/mrefiorentin/yamboA/yambo-4.4.0/lib/external/gfortran/mpifort/lib/libblacs_C_init.a /home/mrefiorentin/yamboA/yambo-4.4.0/lib/external/gfortran/mpifort/lib/libblacs_init.a
# [ - ] PETSC :
#
# [ - ] SLEPC :

However, when I run any calculation I get

P0001: [LA] SERIAL linear algebra

Is it consistent?
I expect that PARALLEL linear algebra would speed up the calculations. What should I specify in configure to run Yambo with parallel linear algebra?
Thank you very much for your attention!
All the best

Michele Re Fiorentin
---
Michele Re Fiorentin, PhD
Center for Sustainable Future Technology CSFT@PoliTo
Italian Institute of Technology

Daniele Varsano

Re: --enable-par-linalg but SERIAL linear algebra at runtime

Post by Daniele Varsano » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:57 am

Dear Michele,
in order to use parallel linear algebra (SCALAPACK) you need to have it compiled and it seems to be the case and assign tasks (e.g. a number of cpu different from 1) to the scalapack operation in the input file e.g.:

Code: Select all

BS_nCPU_LinAlg_INV
BS_nCPU_LinAlg_DIAGO
for BSE
or

Code: Select all

X_nCPU_LinAlg_INV
for response function.
These variables appear by adding the -V par verbosity option (or -V all).
Note that even in the case SERIAL linalg is used for diagonalization or inversion of matrices, this does not means that the job is serial.
Best,
Daniele
Dr. Daniele Varsano
S3-CNR Institute of Nanoscience and MaX Center, Italy
MaX - Materials design at the Exascale
http://www.nano.cnr.it
http://www.max-centre.eu/

mrefiore

Re: --enable-par-linalg but SERIAL linear algebra at runtime

Post by mrefiore » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:04 am

Dear Daniele,

Thank you very much for your quick reply! I didn't switch on parallelization on LA in the input files.
All the best!

Michele
---
Michele Re Fiorentin, PhD
Center for Sustainable Future Technology CSFT@PoliTo
Italian Institute of Technology