Linking error in Yambo > 4.5.0 with CUDA

Having trouble compiling the Yambo source? Using an unusual architecture? Problems with the "configure" script? Problems in GPU architectures? This is the place to look.

Moderators: Davide Sangalli, andrea.ferretti, myrta gruning, andrea marini, Daniele Varsano, Conor Hogan, Nicola Spallanzani

Forum rules
If you have trouble compiling Yambo, please make sure to list:
(1) the compiler (vendor and release: e.g. intel 10.1)
(2) the architecture (e.g. 64-bit IBM SP5)
(3) if the problems occur compiling in serial/in parallel
(4) the version of Yambo (revision number/major release version)
(5) the relevant compiler error message
Yadong Wei

Linking error in Yambo > 4.5.0 with CUDA

Post by Yadong Wei » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:08 am

Dear developers:
I tried to install yambo-4.5.0 parallel with GPUs. Everything went fine when compiling libraries, but I got error when linking Yambo. This error occurs in Yambo-4.5.0, 4.5.3 and 5.0.0 released in github. First it shows warning:

Code: Select all

nvlink warning : Skipping incompatible '/home/pwmat/yambo-master/lib/libbse.a' when searching for -lbse
nvlink warning : Skipping incompatible '/home/pwmat/yambo-master/lib/libacfdt.a' when searching for -lacfdt
(actually nearly every just compiled library: -lbse, -lqp, -ltddft, et.al)
Then the error:

Code: Select all

driver.o: In function `main':
/home/pwmat/yambo-master/lib/yambo/driver/src/driver/driver.c:50: undefined reference to `tool_init'
/home/pwmat/yambo-master/lib/yambo/driver/src/driver/driver.c:54: undefined reference to `options_maker'
/home/pwmat/yambo-master/lib/yambo/driver/src/driver/driver.c:58: undefined reference to `command_line'
/home/pwmat/yambo-master/lib/yambo/driver/src/driver/driver.c:62: undefined reference to `launcher'
/home/pwmat/yambo-master/lib/yambo/driver/src/driver/driver.c:66: undefined reference to `input_file'
pgacclnk: child process exit status 1: /usr/bin/ld
It seems that the code needs to be compiled with 32-bit pgcc, but it is deprecated since PGI-2017 release.
PGI 2017 is only available for 64-bit operating systems and does not include the ability to compile 32-bit applications for execution on either 32- or 64-bit operating systems.
So is that mean I have to use PGI before 2016 to make yambo properly? Is there any proper environments for a successful compilation for GPU-accelerated Yambo?
My environment includes:
1. Cuda-11.1 with Nvidia-driver V455.45.01
2. Nvidia HPC SDK (PGI version 20.11 LLVM 64-bit) pgfortran and pgcc
3. openmpi-4.0.1
4. CentOS 7.9 (Linux 3.10.0-1160.11.1.el7.x86_64)
And config.log file attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yadong Wei
weiyd@hit.edu.cn
School of Physics
Harbin Institute of Technology,150001

Daniele Varsano

Re: Linking error in Yambo > 4.5.0 with CUDA

Post by Daniele Varsano » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:05 am

Dear Yadong,
So is that mean I have to use PGI before 2016 to make yambo properly?
No, I have successfully compiled using:

cuda/10.2
hpc-sdk/2020
spectrum_mpi/10.3.1

./configure FC=pgf90 F77=pgfortran CPP=cpp -E CC=pgcc MPIFC=mpipgifort MPIF77=mpipgifort MPICC=mpipgicc --enable-cuda=cuda10.2,cc70 --enable-mpi --enable-open-mp

using:
cuda/10.2
Nvidia hpc-sdk/2020
spectrum_mpi/10.3.1

I hope others can provide you more advises,
Best,
Daniele
Dr. Daniele Varsano
S3-CNR Institute of Nanoscience and MaX Center, Italy
MaX - Materials design at the Exascale
http://www.nano.cnr.it
http://www.max-centre.eu/

andrea.ferretti

Re: Linking error in Yambo > 4.5.0 with CUDA

Post by andrea.ferretti » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:19 am

Dear Yadong,

this is just to confirm that 64 bit compilation is totally ok and that you can/should consider the newest version of the pgi/nv-sdk compilers (surely PGI 2019 and nv 2020 should do).

Coming to your problem: I see you are compiling with cc60 (P100 cards ?). Is this wanted ? Otherwise which cards are you targeting ?
The issue raised when linking (incompatibility) may arise when there are some unclean left overs from previous incompatible compilations (or attempts of).
Did you issue make distclean before trying again (I guess you did, but just to checkout out all options coming to mind).

last comment: did you also try with cuda 10.x ?

take care
Andrea
Andrea Ferretti, PhD
CNR-NANO-S3 and MaX Centre
via Campi 213/A, 41125, Modena, Italy
Tel: +39 059 2055322; Skype: andrea_ferretti
URL: http://www.nano.cnr.it