Some questions about using Yambo.

Run-time issues concerning Yambo that are not covered in the above forums.

Moderators: myrta gruning, andrea marini, Daniele Varsano, Conor Hogan

lijin18

Some questions about using Yambo.

Post by lijin18 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:16 am

Dear Administrators,
I am a new user of YAMBO. I have read your paper, Computer Physics Communications 180 (2009) 1392–1403. I found that yambo is a useful tool to study the quasiparticle energies and optical properties within the framework of many-body perturbation theory and TDDFT and I want to do some research with yambo and learn it now. But I encounter some problems and ask you for help:
1. QP_E: QP corrections using a scissor operator and valence/conduction stretching.
scissor | cond. stretching| val.stretching.
What's the meaning of cond. stretching and val.stretching? And how to determine the values of the three parameters?
2. In your paper, you have shown the Optical spectrum of bulk silicon. I tried to reproduce the results but I failed.
Would you please show me the input files of bulk silicon just as the example of 3D LiF (Abinit and yambo input
files)?
3. How to get the GW bandstructure of bulk silicon by yambo?
4. How to get and show the excitonic wave function and the excitation energies?
I would be grateful if you can give me some advice and some example (just as bulk silicon) about the above questions.
Lijin
Xiangtan University, Xiangtan, Hunan province, China
lijin@xtu.edu.cn
Faculty of Materials, Optoelectronics and Physics
Xiangtan University, 411105, China
MSN:lijin.phy@gmail.com

myrta gruning

Re: Some questions about using Yambo.

Post by myrta gruning » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:42 am

1. QP_E: QP corrections using a scissor operator and valence/conduction stretching.
scissor | cond. stretching| val.stretching. What's the meaning of cond. stretching and val.stretching? And how to determine the values of the three parameters?
E_{QP}^{cond} = cond. stretching*E_{LDA}^{cond} + scissor
E_{QP}^{val} = val. stretching*E_{LDA}^{val}
2. In your paper, you have shown the Optical spectrum of bulk silicon. I tried to reproduce the results but I failed. Would you please show me the input files of bulk silicon just as the example of 3D LiF (Abinit and yambo input
files)?
Do you refer to the converged or the example spectrum. What is the problem exactly?
For the unconverged spectrum the instruction on the paper should be sufficient. For the converged caclculation you can download all necessary info here.
This issue has been already discussed in this post
To get the excitonic wave function you need to use the diagonalization to solve the BSE, (BSSmod="d") and to have the key WRbsWF. (to get the corresponding input to edit use yambo -b -o b -y d -V resp)
Then you should use the ypp tool (ypp -H to get the help)
ypp -e s to generate the input to sort all excitation energies by energy and intensity
ypp -e a to generate the input to get the "composition" of the exciton in terms of KS transitions
ypp -e w to generate the input to plot the exciton wf

The comments should help you to edit the inputs. Anyway ypp runs quite fast on a PC so you can "play" with it.
Dr Myrta Grüning
School of Mathematics and Physics
Queen's University Belfast - Northern Ireland

http://www.researcherid.com/rid/B-1515-2009

Daniele Varsano

Post by Daniele Varsano » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:42 am

Dear Lijin,
welcome to yambo,
But I encounter some problems and ask you for help:
scissor | cond. stretching| val.stretching.
What's the meaning of cond. stretching and val.stretching? And how to determine the values of the three parameters?
These parameter control the stretching of the QP conduction/valence bands with respect the LDA (or other
DFT) previously calculated energies. In many case the QP energies are not only rigidly shifted (scissor) with respect
the LDA but there is also a stretching. You can find the explanation in this post of the forum by Myrta.
Hoe to determine them, well you should first perform a GW calculation and then evaluate this parameters,
alternatively directly from the experiments.
2. In your paper, you have shown the Optical spectrum of bulk silicon. I tried to reproduce the results but I failed.
Would you please show me the input files of bulk silicon just as the example of 3D LiF (Abinit and yambo input
files)?
In the paper there is the input file (pag. 1401, Table 2), try to reproduce the result with that input, if it fails let
us know where you encountered problems.
Calculating the GW energies corrections for all the bands and k-points you need, these are determined
by the variable: QPerange, see here the documentation.
To do that there is a post-processing tool, that you should compile typing make ypp, then you can find hoe to use it
in the tutorial, or typing ypp -h for a short list of the options.

Hope this helps,

Daniele
Lijin
Xiangtan University, Xiangtan, Hunan province, China
You can update your signature directly in your profile, avoiding to write it any time you send a post,
and, in order to avoid double account, may ask you if you previously registered in the forum with the nickname lijin?
Dr. Daniele Varsano
S3-CNR Institute of Nanoscience and MaX Center, Italy
MaX - Materials design at the Exascale
http://www.nano.cnr.it
http://www.max-centre.eu/

lijin18

Post by lijin18 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:12 pm

Dear myrta gruning and Daniele Varsano ,
Thank you very much for your useful help!

E_{QP}^{cond} = cond. stretching*E_{LDA}^{cond} + scissor
E_{QP}^{val} = val. stretching*E_{LDA}^{val}

I found two parameters for E_QP, XfnQP_E and KfnQP_E, what is the difference?

From the formula of E_QP, cond. stretching and val. stretching control the difference of the bandstructure shape between LDA and QP, and the scissor controls the difference of LDA and QP gap. For the simplest case, as cond. stretching and val. stretching are set to 1, it is considered that the LDA and QP have the same bandstructure shap, and the scissor may be equal to the Gap(QP)-Gap(LDA). So, we can easily obtain the QP bandstructure when scissor is determined. Is this right?

Do you refer to the converged or the example spectrum. What is the problem exactly?
For the unconverged spectrum the instruction on the paper should be sufficient. For the converged caclculation you can download all necessary info here.
I agree with myrta gruning's advice that I did an unconverged calculation. As Yambo is besed on Abinit or Pwscf, what parameters are needed to test before as for the converged calculation(For Abinit: ecut, number of kpoints, nband; for yambo: QpntsRXs, BndsRnXs, NGsBlkXs, BSEBands, BSENGBlk, BSENGexx )? Would you please give some instructions about how to converge the parameters?
Thanks a lot!
lijin

lijin18

Post by lijin18 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:21 pm

Daniele Varsano wrote: You can update your signature directly in your profile, avoiding to write it any time you send a post,
and, in order to avoid double account, may ask you if you previously registered in the forum with the nickname lijin?
Yes, I registered in the forum with the nickname lijin, but I didn't receive the e-mail. So I did another register with lijin18.
You can cancel the lijin account.

Daniele Varsano

Post by Daniele Varsano » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:23 pm

I found two parameters for E_QP, XfnQP_E and KfnQP_E, what is the difference?
The difference rely in the quantity you want to apply your correction:
E_QP --> enter in the Quasiparticle band structure
XfnQP_E --> response function X
KfnQP_E --> Diagonal of the BSE kernel
From the formula of E_QP, cond. stretching and val. stretching control the difference of the bandstructure shape between LDA and QP, and the scissor controls the difference of LDA and QP gap. For the simplest case, as cond. stretching and val. stretching are set to 1, it is considered that the LDA and QP have the same bandstructure shap, and the scissor may be equal to the Gap(QP)-Gap(LDA). So, we can easily obtain the QP bandstructure when scissor is determined. Is this right?
Yes, that's right
Would you please give some instructions about how to converge the parameters?
Well, you should perform different calculations increasing the values of all the parameters until the quantities you want to calculate do not change anymore according to the desired accuracy.

Hope it helps,

Daniele
Dr. Daniele Varsano

lijin18

Post by lijin18 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:27 pm

[quote="Daniele Varsano
PS: Lijin, Please put your affiliation in the signature of your profile, it is a rule of the forum!!
[/quote]

I am sorry. Is it OK now?

Daniele Varsano

Post by Daniele Varsano » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:30 pm

I am sorry. Is it OK now?
Yes thanks, about the double account, now it is solved,
sorry for that, but we have problem with spam accounts, it always better to register with academic
mail adress.

Cheers,

Daniele
Dr. Daniele Varsano

lijin18

Post by lijin18 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:47 pm

Daniele Varsano wrote: Yes thanks, about the double account, now it is solved,
sorry for that, but we have problem with spam accounts, it always better to register with academic
mail adress.

Cheers,

Daniele
My academic mail may fail to receive e-mail sometimes, so I wanted to register with other mail.
Now, everything is ok. Thank you for your help. I love yambo people. :)
lijin