about the first step in LR

Deals with issues related to computation of optical spectra in reciprocal space: RPA, TDDFT, local field effects.

Moderators: Davide Sangalli, andrea.ferretti, myrta gruning, andrea marini, Daniele Varsano, Conor Hogan

deyulu

about the first step in LR

Post by deyulu » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:05 pm

Dear Yambo developers:
I have a naive question about running Yambo. After creating the database, we need to run "yambo"
to set up db.gops and db.kindx files under SAVE. Suppose I did first the ground state
calculation with a small number of bands. Later, I want to include more bands in the
ground states, and set up the calculation for epsilon^-1. After I regenerate the s.wf and
s.db1, do I need to rerun "yambo"? Or can I recycle the previous db.gops and db.kindx
obtained with less bands? It seems to me that those files contain the information about the
shells of G vectors, but I don't know if they also depend on the number of bands.
Thanks
Deyu Lu

Deyu Lu (Ph.D)

190 Chemistry Building
University of California, Davis
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
Office phone: (530) 754-9663
Group Webpage: http://angstrom.ucdavis.edu/

Daniele Varsano

Re: about the first step in LR

Post by Daniele Varsano » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:07 pm

Dear Deyu Lu,
I suspect that Yambo will complain about inconsistencies in the header of the databases.
But I'm not sure, I never did it, why do you want to do this?? The Yambo inizialisation it
is not an heavy part and I suggest you to run it after having calculated your ground state
and the empty states you need for the epsilon.
Cheers,
Daniele
Dr. Daniele Varsano
S3-CNR Institute of Nanoscience and MaX Center, Italy
MaX - Materials design at the Exascale
http://www.nano.cnr.it
http://www.max-centre.eu/

andrea marini

Post by andrea marini » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:13 pm

deyulu wrote: I have a naive question about running Yambo. After creating the database, we need to run "yambo"
to set up db.gops and db.kindx files under SAVE. Suppose I did first the ground state
calculation with a small number of bands. Later, I want to include more bands in the
ground states, and set up the calculation for epsilon^-1. After I regenerate the s.wf and
s.db1, do I need to rerun "yambo"? Or can I recycle the previous db.gops and db.kindx
obtained with less bands? It seems to me that those files contain the information about the
shells of G vectors, but I don't know if they also depend on the number of bands.
The exchange of databases between different SAVE folders is a delicate issue. By default it is not possible as the interfaces p2y and a2y assign to db1/wf/kb_pp databases a unique serial number (if you do yambo -D you will see it)

Code: Select all

>yambo -D
[RD./SAVE//ns.db1]------------------------------------------
 Bands                           : 10
 K-points                        : 3
 G-vectors             [RL space]:  359
 Components       [wavefunctions]:  359
 Symmetries       [spatial+T-rev]:  48
 Spinor components               : 1
 Spin polarizations              : 1
 Temperature                 [ev]: 0.000000
 Electrons                       : 8.000000
 WF G-vectors                    :  359
 Max atoms/species               : 2
 No. of atom species             : 1
- [b]S/N 005606[/b] ---------------------------- v.03.00.12 r.000 -
The S/N assigned to the core databases is then exported to ALL databases created. Most of these databases must respect the S/N. In the sense, if you overwrite the core databases yambo should automatically overwrite the database that do not respect the S/N. For example, db.gops and db.kindex are S/N dependent.
Andrea MARINI
Istituto di Struttura della Materia, CNR, (Italy)

deyulu

Post by deyulu » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:43 pm

Thank you for the answer. I see the point.

Deyu