About LongDrXp

Concerns issues with computing quasiparticle corrections to the DFT eigenvalues - i.e., the self-energy within the GW approximation (-g n), or considering the Hartree-Fock exchange only (-x)

Moderators: Davide Sangalli, andrea.ferretti, myrta gruning, andrea marini, Daniele Varsano

jmmorbec

About LongDrXp

Post by jmmorbec » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:16 am

Hello.

I am working with an orthorhombic cell (a < b < c). And I noticed that the direct band gap changes when I change LongDrXp from 1.0|0.0|0.0 (default) to 1.0|1.0|1.0.
How should I decide about this variable? Should it be proportional to the lattice vectors?

I will really appreciate any help.
Juliana M. Morbec, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Researcher
Institute for Molecular Engineering, The University of Chicago

Daniele Varsano

Re: About LongDrXp

Post by Daniele Varsano » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:36 pm

Dear Juliana,
this variable indicate the direction of the q->0 limit in the response function to calculate W. If the system it is not strongly anysotropic the direction should not affect too much the final results. When dealing with 1D (wire), 2D (slab) etc., then it could ne an issue. For a discussion on the influence of that and anysotropic effects in slabs you can have a look to: Freysold et al. PHYSICAL REVIEW B 77, 235428 2008 and references therein. If you are dealing with bulk system it is strange the gap change considerably. In any case, a 1,1,1 direction, can be seen as a sort of average in the three spatial direction.

Best,
Daniele
Dr. Daniele Varsano
S3-CNR Institute of Nanoscience and MaX Center, Italy
MaX - Materials design at the Exascale
http://www.nano.cnr.it
http://www.max-centre.eu/

jmmorbec

Re: About LongDrXp

Post by jmmorbec » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:07 am

Thank you very much for your reply, Daniele.
Juliana M. Morbec, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Researcher
Institute for Molecular Engineering, The University of Chicago