vacuum level position

Concerns issues with computing quasiparticle corrections to the DFT eigenvalues - i.e., the self-energy within the GW approximation (-g n), or considering the Hartree-Fock exchange only (-x)

Moderators: Davide Sangalli, andrea.ferretti, myrta gruning, andrea marini, Daniele Varsano

rezuzu

vacuum level position

Post by rezuzu » Tue May 21, 2013 8:26 pm

Dear all,

Is there a away to estimate the vacuum level position of a given meterial from a gw band structure calculation?

Thanks in advance,

Karim
Dr. Karim Rezouali,
Laboratoire de Physique théorique,
Département de Physique,
Université de Béjaia,
06000, Béjaia

Daniele Varsano

Re: vacuum level position

Post by Daniele Varsano » Tue May 21, 2013 10:25 pm

Dear Karim,

DIrectly from the GW band structure I would say no.
Please have a look to this post,
may be it can help you. Anyway, are you dealing with a surface (slab model)? In this case I think you should first align the DFT levels to the potential in the vacuum, next the GW will give you the quasiparticle correction.
If you are dealing with a bulk there a different recipes to align the DFT levels:see e.g this paper, note there is not a general energy reference in periodic systems.
Technical issue: please note that Yambo once has read the electronic structure from the DFT code (Pwscf or Abinit) it shift the zero energy to the homo, or VBM.
Anyway, I'm not expert on that and may be someone else can correct me and give you more information.

Best,

Daniele
Dr. Daniele Varsano
S3-CNR Institute of Nanoscience and MaX Center, Italy
MaX - Materials design at the Exascale
http://www.nano.cnr.it
http://www.max-centre.eu/

rezuzu

Post by rezuzu » Wed May 22, 2013 10:48 am

Dear Daniele,

Thank you for the advice!

It works.

Best Karim
Dr. Karim Rezouali,
Laboratoire de Physique théorique,
Département de Physique,
Université de Béjaia,
06000, Béjaia

lesheng

Post by lesheng » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:58 pm

Hi Karim,

If you are using QE to carry out the DFT calculation, you can use pp.x to calculate the electrostatic potential of your system, then you can try to plot plane-averaged potential as respective to z-direction (normal to your surface), that will give you the relative position to vacuum level. Since the vacuum level is coming from Coulomb interaction, so the correction from GW method will not (?) affect it. Then you can use the vacuum level from DFT and the energy level from GW to get the relative position. This is what pops up in my mind, wish other people can give more sophisticated way to do this.

Thanks,
lesheng
rezuzu wrote:Dear all,

Is there a away to estimate the vacuum level position of a given meterial from a gw band structure calculation?

Thanks in advance,

Karim
PhD candidate
209 South Rd, Chapel Hill, NC 27599
Department of Chemistry
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Email: leshengl@live.unc.edu