Epsilon_1

Deals with issues related to computation of optical spectra in reciprocal space: RPA, TDDFT, local field effects.

Moderators: Davide Sangalli, andrea.ferretti, myrta gruning, andrea marini, Daniele Varsano, Conor Hogan

Yunfeng

Epsilon_1

Post by Yunfeng » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:49 pm

Dear All,

How does Yambo caculate the real part of the complex dielectric function: epsilon_1? I mean what's the equation, in (yambo -b -o b -y h) and (yambo -o c).

Thank you very much
Sincerely, Yunfeng
Yunfeng Liang
Department of Physics and Engineering Physics
University of Saskatchewan
116 Science Place
Saskatoon S7N0K4, SK, Canada
Email: yul059@mail.usask.ca, liangyunfeng@gmail.com
Tel: +1(306)966-6213
Fax: +1(306)966-6400

andrea marini

Re: Epsilon_1

Post by andrea marini » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:08 pm

Yunfeng wrote: How does Yambo caculate the real part of the complex dielectric function: epsilon_1? I mean what's the equation, in (yambo -b -o b -y h) and (yambo -o c).
Dear Yunfeng,

Yambo always calculates the full, complex, response function. To understand how it does it look at the these pages of the dicumentation: LR, Response, BSE solvers.

If something will remain still unclear let us know and we will help you.
Andrea MARINI
Istituto di Struttura della Materia, CNR, (Italy)

Yunfeng

Post by Yunfeng » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:51 pm

Dear Andrea.

Thank you very much! I was actually just confused with one of previous post by Myrta elsewhere. I got a feeling that the epsilon_1 was calculated by Kramers-Kronig relation. see below:
Myrta wrote: The warning regards the eel, so you should worry only if you want to calculate it . Within the Tamm Dancoff approximation for the BSE, this spectra is obtained from the eps one, and a Kramers-Kronig has to be performed. In order for this transform to be accurate you should choose the energy range in such a way that the Im(eps) is (approx.) zero at the beginning and at the end of the range.

My understanding is that EEL relies only on epsilon_1 and epsilon_2 by
EELS= epsilon_2/(epsilon_1^2+epsilon_2^2).

If both are calculated in direct way, we need not use the Kramers-Kronig relation, though it is also good.

Thanks
Sincerely, Yunfeng
Yunfeng Liang
Department of Physics and Engineering Physics
University of Saskatchewan
116 Science Place
Saskatoon S7N0K4, SK, Canada
Email: yul059@mail.usask.ca, liangyunfeng@gmail.com
Tel: +1(306)966-6213
Fax: +1(306)966-6400

andrea marini

Post by andrea marini » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:34 pm

Yunfeng wrote: Thank you very much! I was actually just confused with one of previous post by Myrta elsewhere. I got a feeling that the epsilon_1 was calculated by Kramers-Kronig relation. see below:
Myrta wrote: The warning regards the eel, so you should worry only if you want to calculate it . Within the Tamm Dancoff approximation for the BSE, this spectra is obtained from the eps one, and a Kramers-Kronig has to be performed. In order for this transform to be accurate you should choose the energy range in such a way that the Im(eps) is (approx.) zero at the beginning and at the end of the range.

My understanding is that EEL relies only on epsilon_1 and epsilon_2 by
EELS= epsilon_2/(epsilon_1^2+epsilon_2^2).

If both are calculated in direct way, we need not use the Kramers-Kronig relation, though it is also good.
Dear Yungfeng,

Myrta is right in what concerns the EELS. In the case of the Bethe-Salpeter the use of the Tamm-Dancoff approximation imposes to use a Kramers-Kronig integration to build the negative frequency part of the response function to buil the EELS. In the reciprocal space solvers (-o c), instead, there is no need of using a KK transformation. So, I was right in the sense the Yambo always calculate the full complex response function. However in the case of the BSE you get only the resonant part of epsilon_1, that is not enough to build the EELS.
Andrea MARINI
Istituto di Struttura della Materia, CNR, (Italy)