Can Yambo handle hybrid functional in QE

Deals with issues related to computation of optical spectra in reciprocal space: RPA, TDDFT, local field effects.

Moderators: Davide Sangalli, andrea.ferretti, myrta gruning, andrea marini, Daniele Varsano, Conor Hogan

Sheleon

Can Yambo handle hybrid functional in QE

Post by Sheleon » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:47 am

Dear all
i want to know, can Yambo handle the hybrid functional implemented in QE? . i am wondering that the RPA level absorptiong sepctra of hybrid functional calcultion can compare with the BS level abosorption spectra of DFT calcultion for some extent if Yambo can handle the hybrid functional. am i right?
Thanks in advanced.

Sheleon
Phd student
Phys Department
Shanghai JiaoTong university, Shanghai, China.

Daniele Varsano

Re: Can Yambo handle hybrid functional in QE

Post by Daniele Varsano » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:20 am

Dear Sheleon,
I do not understand exactly what are you asking for, can you be more precise?
You can use wave functions calculated with hybrids functionals in QE to calculate
the response functions at independent particle level, even adding local filed effects.
What you can't do at the moment is to calculate a TDDFT absorption spectra using
hybrids, or GW corrections starting from hybrids. About the comparison with the BSE,
I do not understand exactly what you mean.

Cheers,

Daniele
Dr. Daniele Varsano
S3-CNR Institute of Nanoscience and MaX Center, Italy
MaX - Materials design at the Exascale
http://www.nano.cnr.it
http://www.max-centre.eu/

Sheleon

Post by Sheleon » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:40 am

Dear Daniele Varsano
Sry for late reply, we have just finished our national-day holiday. From your reply, i think i have some misunderstand for the hybrid fuctional scheme and GW scheme. i will learn more about the two schemes, after that i will state my question more clearly if there still any. :)
Thank you very much

Cheers!
Phd student
Phys Department
Shanghai JiaoTong university, Shanghai, China.

andrea marini

Post by andrea marini » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:37 pm

Sheleon wrote: i want to know, can Yambo handle the hybrid functional implemented in QE?
No. Yambo cannot handle the hybrid functionals
Sheleon wrote: i am wondering that the RPA level absorptiong sepctra of hybrid functional calcultion can compare with the BS level abosorption spectra of DFT calcultion for some extent if Yambo can handle the hybrid functional. am i right?
By doing a time-dependent evolution of the Kohn-Sham equation using an hybrid functional you could get something similar to the BSE absorption spectra.

If this is what you meant.

Andrea
Andrea MARINI
Istituto di Struttura della Materia, CNR, (Italy)