How to get quasiparticle energies of a specific K point?

Concerns issues with computing quasiparticle corrections to the DFT eigenvalues - i.e., the self-energy within the GW approximation (-g n), or considering the Hartree-Fock exchange only (-x)

Moderators: Davide Sangalli, andrea.ferretti, myrta gruning, andrea marini, Daniele Varsano

mailoliver

How to get quasiparticle energies of a specific K point?

Post by mailoliver » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:48 am

Dear all:
I want to get quasiparticle energies of some specific K points. But I don't know how to input the K points into input file.
For example, I try to calculate quasiparticle energies of (0.4, 0, 0.4) of Si, with 5*5*5 K points generation in BZ, and no-shifted. I think (0.4, 0, 0.4) is included in BZ Q-points (125), but not included in IBZ Q-points.

Thanks

Tieyu Lu
Tieyu Lu
Physics Department of Xiamen university (China)

andrea marini

Re: How to get quasiparticle energies of a specific K point?

Post by andrea marini » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:38 am

Dear Tieyu Lu,

this is indeed a tricky point. Yambo requires as input a uniform k-grid {k_i}. This is contracted in the IBZ resulting in a certain number of k-points that are printed in any report file. Now starting from grid Yambo generates the corresponding grid of transferred momenta {q_j}. You can calculate QP corrections for
  • any k-point in the grid {k_i} (in the IBZ)
  • any k-point of the BZ that is obtained by rotating a k-point of the grid {k_i}. In this case the QP correction is the same of original, un-rotated point, for symmetry reasons.
If you need to calculate QP corrections for a k-point that is not included in the grid {k_i} or obtained with a rotation than you need to perform a more elaborate procedure using simultaneously 2 grids. Yambo can do it but the procedure is more complicated. Is this your case ?

Andrea
Andrea MARINI
Istituto di Struttura della Materia, CNR, (Italy)

Guangfu Luo

Re: How to get quasiparticle energies of a specific K point?

Post by Guangfu Luo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:55 am

Dear Lu,

If the special point is included in the BZ, there must be an equivalent point in the IBZ. If not, why do we call it IBZ?

To find out the equivalent point, I plot all the points in the BZ and IBZ. Based on the symmetry of BZ, it is easier to spot that equivalent point.

Sincerely,
Guangfu Luo
Institute for Molecular Science
National Institutes of Natural Sciences, Japan