Real-axis GW

Concerns issues with computing quasiparticle corrections to the DFT eigenvalues - i.e., the self-energy within the GW approximation (-g n), or considering the Hartree-Fock exchange only (-x)

Moderators: Davide Sangalli, andrea.ferretti, myrta gruning, andrea marini, Daniele Varsano

vormar

Real-axis GW

Post by vormar » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:19 pm

Dear Developers,

I am about to try the real-axis GW option that is now available in the GPL release. I am not yet certain how this is actually done and which
parameters affect the calculation besides usual parameters (FFTGvecs, GbndRnge, BndsRnXd, NGsBlkXd, etc.). Therefore I have some basic questions...

First, is there any theoretical paper or slide that tells how this is done actually? In my opinion this is not straightforward at all and there are many different ways of calculating the full frequency dependent screening.

Using the tutorial on LiF I found that the dynamical dielectric matrix is evaluated at 100 frequencies from 6.2868 to 80.77806 eV. So, here comes my second question: how is the frequency interval chosen? If I'm right then in this case all possible dft single particle excitations lie in this energy range.

I suppose that 100 comes from ETStpsXd and the resulting discrete function is smoothed with a lorentzian function specified by DmRngeXd. In principle, ETStpsXd should be a convergence parameter: the denser the grid, the better the result. However I think this is not true for DmRngeXd. Am I right about this?

Thanks in advance,
Marton
M\'arton V\"or\"os
PhD student
Department of Atomic Physics,
Budapest University of Technology and Economics
Budafoki út 8., H-1111, Budapest, Hungary
http://www.fat.bme.hu/MartonVoros

myrta gruning

Re: Real-axis GW

Post by myrta gruning » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:58 am

Hallo Marton
vormar wrote:First, is there any theoretical paper or slide that tells how this is done actually? In my opinion this is not straightforward at all and there are many different ways of calculating the full frequency dependent screening.
You can find details in Andrea Marini's thesis
vormar wrote: Using the tutorial on LiF I found that the dynamical dielectric matrix is evaluated at 100 frequencies from 6.2868 to 80.77806 eV. So, here comes my second question: how is the frequency interval chosen? If I'm right then in this case all possible dft single particle excitations lie in this energy range.
Yes you are right.
vormar wrote:I suppose that 100 comes from ETStpsXd and the resulting discrete function is smoothed with a lorentzian function specified by DmRngeXd. In principle, ETStpsXd should be a convergence parameter: the denser the grid, the better the result. However I think this is not true for DmRngeXd. Am I right about this?
Yes again. Ideally ETStpXd should be infinite and DmRngeXd should be 0.

Regards,
Myrta
Dr Myrta Grüning
School of Mathematics and Physics
Queen's University Belfast - Northern Ireland

http://www.researcherid.com/rid/B-1515-2009

vormar

Post by vormar » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:09 pm

Hi Myrta,
myrta gruning wrote:Hallo Marton
vormar wrote:First, is there any theoretical paper or slide that tells how this is done actually? In my opinion this is not straightforward at all and there are many different ways of calculating the full frequency dependent screening.
You can find details in Andrea Marini's thesis
Thanks!
myrta gruning wrote:
vormar wrote: Using the tutorial on LiF I found that the dynamical dielectric matrix is evaluated at 100 frequencies from 6.2868 to 80.77806 eV. So, here comes my second question: how is the frequency interval chosen? If I'm right then in this case all possible dft single particle excitations lie in this energy range.
Yes you are right.
OK. Then maybe it is a naive question, but why isn't the static limit included in this range? The plasmon-pole approximation is based on the knowledge of the system in the static limit and in some cases in an imaginary frequency (Godby-Needs model). Why don't we need this information in the real-axis calculation?
myrta gruning wrote:
vormar wrote:I suppose that 100 comes from ETStpsXd and the resulting discrete function is smoothed with a lorentzian function specified by DmRngeXd. In principle, ETStpsXd should be a convergence parameter: the denser the grid, the better the result. However I think this is not true for DmRngeXd. Am I right about this?
Yes again. Ideally ETStpXd should be infinite and DmRngeXd should be 0.

Regards,
Myrta
Is there any rule of thumb that estimates how many frequency points are needed? I would say that it is meaningless to get the frequency spacing much denser than the single particle energy spacing so the frequency density around 10/eV should be considered to be converged in many cases. Is this true?

I know that convergence always depends on the specific system, but do you have any experience on convergence trends? I already found nearly convergent parameters for my system with pp-GW if I'm interested in the gap correction. However I'm not sure that the same parameters yield the same accuracy if I switch on real-axis GW and leave other parameters untouched.

Thanks,
Marton
M\'arton V\"or\"os
PhD student
Department of Atomic Physics,
Budapest University of Technology and Economics
Budafoki út 8., H-1111, Budapest, Hungary
http://www.fat.bme.hu/MartonVoros

andrea marini

Post by andrea marini » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:20 pm

vormar wrote: OK. Then maybe it is a naive question, but why isn't the static limit included in this range? The plasmon-pole approximation is based on the knowledge of the system in the static limit and in some cases in an imaginary frequency (Godby-Needs model). Why don't we need this information in the real-axis calculation?
In the PPA you choose two frequencies to FIT the inverse dielectric function on the imaginary axis. In the real-axis calculation you need to perform a numerical Kramers-Kronig trasformation of the screened interaction. As it is explained in my thesis this is done by defining the spectral function of the inverse dielectric function. This function is, by definition, zero within the gap. Therefore the zero frequency is not included in the range. Of course after the Kramers-Kronig trasformation also the static limit is correctly included.
vormar wrote: Is there any rule of thumb that estimates how many frequency points are needed? I would say that it is meaningless to get the frequency spacing much denser than the single particle energy spacing so the frequency density around 10/eV should be considered to be converged in many cases. Is this true?
I would say that you need to use a frequency step smaller or equal to the step needed to calculate the self-energy derivative. Normally 0.1/0.2 eV shoud be enough.
vormar wrote: I know that convergence always depends on the specific system, but do you have any experience on convergence trends? I already found nearly convergent parameters for my system with pp-GW if I'm interested in the gap correction. However I'm not sure that the same parameters yield the same accuracy if I switch on real-axis GW and leave other parameters untouched
Actually, except for the number of frequencies all other parameters can be imported from a converged PPA calculation. But I suggest you to perform same small test to see if you are really near convergence.

Andrea
Andrea MARINI
Istituto di Struttura della Materia, CNR, (Italy)