QP correct to BSE

Deals with issues related to computation of optical spectra in reciprocal space: RPA, TDDFT, local field effects.

Moderators: Davide Sangalli, andrea.ferretti, myrta gruning, andrea marini, Daniele Varsano, Conor Hogan

zchen

QP correct to BSE

Post by zchen » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:23 pm

Hi all:
I am calculating BSE with the QP correction. I inserted QP energy to KfnQPdb="E<./SAVE/db.QP". After running yambo I found no change at all. The results is same as that I did not insert the QP data. I compile yambo without netcdf. So I think without netcdf the QP correction cannot be used in BSE calculation. I saw some user had same problem with ypp. I tried several times to include netcdf (version 4.1.1) but failed with the error message Corrupt or Old Module file netcdf.mod. However, netcdf-4.1.1 is the most recent version.
The yambo package I used is yambo-3.2.3-rev.11. My system is linux_82_64 just bought a few month ago, compiler is gfortran, gcc etc. I want to disable mpi to test sequential version. But I cannot find this option. For ypp problem I saw a patch in a few days ago. I do not know whether there is a patch for yambo. This will temporary solve the problem.

Thanks

Zhifan Chen
Dept of Physics
Clark Atlanta University
USA

myrta gruning

Re: QP correct to BSE

Post by myrta gruning » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:24 am

zchen wrote:I am calculating BSE with the QP correction. I inserted QP energy to KfnQPdb="E<./SAVE/db.QP". After running yambo I found no change at all. The results is same as that I did not insert the QP data. I compile yambo without netcdf. So I think without netcdf the QP correction cannot be used in BSE calculation.

Dear Zhifan Chen,

If you found no changes probably the db has not be read. Inspect your log and report if you cannot find a message that the file has been read, then it means yambo ignored it. I do not think that the problem is netcdf. The sintax for this part of the input is quite strict, I think you simply miss a space.
Try with

Code: Select all

KfnQPdb="E < SAVE/db.QP"
it should work.
zchen wrote:I tried several times to include netcdf (version 4.1.1) but failed with the error message Corrupt or Old Module file netcdf.mod. However, netcdf-4.1.1 is the most recent version.
When do you get the error? During configuration or compilation?
Linking netcdf is quite annoying because you should use the same compiler in netcdf as in yambo and be very carefull with the compiler options in netcdf (so usually using a precompiled netcdf is not an option). Also use a clean version of the yambo (make clean_all) to start with.
zchen wrote:I want to disable mpi to test sequential version. But I cannot find this option.

Code: Select all

--with-mpi=no
it should work.

Regards,
Myrta
Dr Myrta Grüning
School of Mathematics and Physics
Queen's University Belfast - Northern Ireland

http://www.researcherid.com/rid/B-1515-2009

zchen

Post by zchen » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:52 pm

Dr. Myrta Gruning:
You are quite right we do need space to make it work. Thank you for the important information. Unfortrnately for yambo without netcdf it still does not work. When I run yambo I got warning message:
SAVE/db.QP not found. I tried other way to insert such as ./SAVE/db.QP or using absolute path. Results are the same. I checked the SAVE directory and can find the file db.QP.

Zhifan Chen
Dept of Physics
Clark Atlanta University
USA

weic

Post by weic » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:01 pm

Try
KfnQPdb= "E < ./SAVE/ndb.QP"
Wei C.

Leibniz Universität Hannover
Institut für Festkörperphysik
Atomare und molekulare Strukturen (ATMOS)

andrea marini

Post by andrea marini » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:35 pm

Dear Zhifan Chen,

so you have the "db.QP" in SAVE. Right ? And what Yambo version are you using ? I remember that at a certain point we fixed a small bug in the non-netcdf assisted I/O of the QP corrections.

Moreover, independently on the fact that you linked yambo with or without NETCDF teh code should be ALWAYS able to read the db.QP while the ndb.QP can be read only if the NETCDF are linked properly.

Let us know.

Andrea
Andrea MARINI
Istituto di Struttura della Materia, CNR, (Italy)