about RPA-QP calculation

Concerns issues with computing quasiparticle corrections to the DFT eigenvalues - i.e., the self-energy within the GW approximation (-g n), or considering the Hartree-Fock exchange only (-x)

Moderators: Davide Sangalli, andrea.ferretti, myrta gruning, andrea marini, Daniele Varsano

yping

about RPA-QP calculation

Post by yping » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:58 am

Hi,
I want to ask whether we can use the GW 's quasiparticle energy to do the Random Phase Approximation calculation instead of using a scissor operator which simply opens rigidly the LDA gap as the self energy correction in yambo.
Thank you very much!
yuan ping
University of California, Davis

andrea marini

Re: about RPA-QP calculation

Post by andrea marini » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:20 am

yping wrote: I want to ask whether we can use the GW 's quasiparticle energy to do the Random Phase Approximation calculation instead of using a scissor operator which simply opens rigidly the LDA gap as the self energy correction in yambo.
Dear Yuan Ping,

yambo can read the QP database created in a GW run to correct the energies in a subsequent RPA/BSE calculation. However, we switched off this option in the GPL release because of stability reasons. I am thinking to reintroduce it in one of the next revisions.

With the current revision you can, however, use the variables XfnQP_E to pass the code the parameters of the QP corrections.

Andrea
Andrea MARINI
Istituto di Struttura della Materia, CNR, (Italy)

hplan

Post by hplan » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:41 pm

andrea marini wrote: Dear Yuan Ping,

yambo can read the QP database created in a GW run to correct the energies in a subsequent RPA/BSE calculation. However, we switched off this option in the GPL release because of stability reasons. I am thinking to reintroduce it in one of the next revisions.

With the current revision you can, however, use the variables XfnQP_E to pass the code the parameters of the QP corrections.

Andrea
Dear Andrea,
A question about bands' scissor correction and stretching.
When we apply scissor correction, does it just move up all conduction bands for some value ? But what is the detail of bands' stretching ? I read the doc ,it doesnot give me much impression.

Regards
Hai-Ping
Hai-Ping LAN,
Department Of Electronics,
Peking University, 100871,Beijing, CHINA

myrta gruning

Post by myrta gruning » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:40 am

Dear Hai-Ping,

regarding XfnQP_E has the form:

scissor | cond. stretching | val. stretching

The resulting correction to the energies:

Ev = val. stretching x Evo
Ec = cond. stretching x Eco + scissor

implies that the GW corrections depends (with good approximation) linearly on the energy so that GW not only opens the gap, but changes the form of (=stretches) the bands.
So If you have calculated the GW corrections for (several) bands/ and k-points of your sampling you can derive these values by fitting the GW energies Ev, Ec versus the input LDA energies Evo, Eco.
Quite often the linear fit describes quite well the QP energies (at least for the bands around the gap), with the values for both the stretching very close to 1.

I hope this answers your question
m
Dr Myrta Grüning
School of Mathematics and Physics
Queen's University Belfast - Northern Ireland

http://www.researcherid.com/rid/B-1515-2009

hplan

Post by hplan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:03 pm

Dear Myrta,

Thanks for this detailed instruction.

Best Wishes,