Wrong results about spin-polarized band structure in MoS2 monolayer

Anything regarding the post-processing utility (e.g. excitonic wavefunction analysis) is dealt with in this forum.

Moderators: Davide Sangalli, andrea marini, Daniele Varsano

WEIW

Wrong results about spin-polarized band structure in MoS2 monolayer

Post by WEIW » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:02 am

Dear all,

I used ypp -s b to interpolate band of MoS2 monolayer.
It is known that valence band maximums (VBM) at different valleys (that is, K valley and K' valley) have an opposite spin polarization.
However, the output 'o.spin_factors_DN_interpolated' displays the wrong results. The figure attached show that VBMs at K and K' valleys have the same spin polarization.
The output files and figure plotted by the yambo data are attached.

Best,
Xu
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dr. LIU Hongling
School of Physics, Shandong University
Jinan, CHINA

Davide Sangalli
Location: Via Salaria Km 29.3, CP 10, 00016, Monterotondo Stazione, Italy

Re: Wrong results about spin-polarized band structure in MoS2 monolayer

Post by Davide Sangalli » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:07 am

Dear Xu,

the interpolation procedure is just interpolating the values computed on the available k-points.
Since your simulation is with SOC, K and K' should be both computed, e.g. they are not related by symmetry.
Then you can just check the values in your '.spin_factors_UP_built_in' and 'spin_factors_DN_built_in' files.

Add this flag to the input file to generate the latter

Code: Select all

BANDS_built_in                 # Print the bands of the generating points of the circuit using the
Can you attach the output files here?
Are you sure you are taking K and K' and not two equivalent K ?

Best,
D.
Davide Sangalli, PhD
CNR-ISM, Division of Ultrafast Processes in Materials (FLASHit) and MaX Centre
https://sites.google.com/view/davidesangalli
http://www.max-centre.eu/

WEIW

Re: Wrong results about spin-polarized band structure in MoS2 monolayer

Post by WEIW » Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:31 am

Dear Davide,

Thanks for your rapid reply!

I saw that the report file in yambo contains a tag showing 'Symmetries: 12 [spatial+T-rev]'. That says the system have time-reversal symmetry. So, I wonder if the interploation process consider the T symmetry.

If the valleys are not related by symmetry, the flag 'force_symmorphic' in QE will be set to False, right? If do that, I think the number of k-points will be large and the simulation is considerably time-consuming. Is there any other method to compute the K and K' valleys simultaneously.

I follow your instruments to uncomment the 'BANDS_built_in' flag, and the outputs are attached.
Are you sure you are taking K and K' and not two equivalent K ?
According to the band circuit set in band.in, the K is -0.333 0.666 0 and K' is 0.333 0.333 0. I think these two point are not equivalent in MoS2 monolayer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dr. LIU Hongling
School of Physics, Shandong University
Jinan, CHINA