Compiling Yambo on Perlmutter with GPU

Having trouble compiling the Yambo source? Using an unusual architecture? Problems with the "configure" script? Problems in GPU architectures? This is the place to look.

Moderators: Davide Sangalli, andrea.ferretti, myrta gruning, andrea marini, Daniele Varsano, Conor Hogan, Nicola Spallanzani

Forum rules
If you have trouble compiling Yambo, please make sure to list:
(1) the compiler (vendor and release: e.g. intel 10.1)
(2) the architecture (e.g. 64-bit IBM SP5)
(3) if the problems occur compiling in serial/in parallel
(4) the version of Yambo (revision number/major release version)
(5) the relevant compiler error message
milesj

Compiling Yambo on Perlmutter with GPU

Post by milesj » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:19 am

Hi all,

I'm trying to compile Yambo on the Perlmutter supercomputer cluster with GPU acceleration. My configuration and make steps seem to complete, but when I call p2y I get the following error:

Code: Select all

`MPIDI_CRAY_init: GPU_SUPPORT_ENABLED is requested, but GTL library is not linked`
From advice on this website, I tried adding the flag -target-accel=nvidia80 to my configure call, but it was not recognized. I also tried adding CRAY_ACCEL_TARGET=nvidia80, and it compiled, but the error above still happened.

Here's my configuration call:

./configure CRAY_ACCEL_TARGET=nvidia80 FC=nvfortran F77=nvfortran CC=nvc CPP="gcc -E -P" FPP="gfortran -E -P -cpp" --enable-open-mp --enable-par-linalg --enable-mpi --enable-hdf5-par-io --enable-slepc-linalg --enable-cuda="cuda11.7,cc70" --enable-time-profile --enable-memory-profile
I've also attached my config.log and compile_p2y.log files below. Perhaps I need to add the CRAY_ACCEL_TARGET variable somewhere after compilation? I'm not really sure what else I can do, but I also don't know a ton about compilers and gpus.

Thanks for any help!
-Miles
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Miles Johnson
California Institute of Technology
PhD candidate in Applied Physics

Nicola Spallanzani

Re: Compiling Yambo on Perlmutter with GPU

Post by Nicola Spallanzani » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:36 am

Dear Miles,
the variable CRAY_ACCEL_TARGET=nvidia80 shouldn't be needed. The only flag that you need is --enable-cuda="cuda11.7,cc70".
However in this flag you are selecting the wrong compute capablity (cc), Perlmutter is mounting Nvidia A100 gpus with cc80.
So the right flag is: --enable-cuda="cuda11.7,cc80".

Best,
Nicola
Nicola Spallanzani, PhD
S3 Centre, Istituto Nanoscienze CNR and MaX Center, Italy
MaX - Materials design at the Exascale
http://www.nano.cnr.it
http://www.max-centre.eu

milesj

Post by milesj » Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:30 am

Hi Nicola,

Unfortunately changing it to cc80 did not help. It also seems I need the flags 'FC=nvfortran F77=nvfortran CC=nvc CPP="gcc -E -P" FPP="gfortran -E -P -cpp" ' for the configure step to work.

I've also tried adding 'MPICC="cc -target-accel=nvidia80 -shared" ' to my configure call, which didn't change anything, and I've tried adding -target-accel=nvidia80 to various flags in ./config/setup, which either did not change anything or caused an error in the make step.

Let me know if you have any other ideas! Is there anything special I need to do when calling p2y to avoid this error?

thanks,
miles
Miles Johnson

Nicola Spallanzani

Post by Nicola Spallanzani » Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:56 am

Please try this configure starting from scratch:

./configure FC=nvfortran F77=nvfortran CC=nvc CPP="cpp -E" FPP="nvfortran -Mpreprocess -E" \
    --enable-open-mp --enable-par-linalg --enable-mpi --enable-hdf5-par-io \
    --enable-slepc-linalg --enable-cuda="cuda11.7,cc80" --enable-time-profile --enable-memory-profile
From scratch I mean deleting the directory of yambo and unpacking a new one.

Best,
Nicola
Nicola Spallanzani, PhD

milesj

Post by milesj » Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:12 pm

Hi Nicola,

Unfortunately the same error ocurred:

`
MPICH ERROR [Rank 0] [job id ] [Fri Oct 13 13:14:49 2023] [nid001645] - Abort(-1) (rank 0 in comm 0): MPIDI_CRAY_init: GPU_SUPPORT_ENABLED is requested, but GTL library is not linked
(Other MPI error)

aborting job:
MPIDI_CRAY_init: GPU_SUPPORT_ENABLED is requested, but GTL library is not linked
`

I've attached my config.log file, but unfortunately the compile_p2y.log file is too large to attach here.

Thanks,
Miles
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Miles Johnson

milesj

Post by milesj » Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:04 pm

For anyone else trying, here's a procedure that ended up working for me:

login

export LC_ALL=C
module load gpu ; module swap PrgEnv-gnu PrgEnv-nvidia ; module unload darshan ; module unload cray-libsci ; module load cray-fftw ; module load cray-hdf5-parallel

mkdir yambo
cd yambo/
git clone https://github.com/yambo-code/yambo.git ./

./configure FC=nvfortran  F77=nvfortran  CC=nvc CPP="cpp -E" FPP="nvfortran -Mpreprocess -E" --enable-cuda="cuda11.7,cc80" --enable-time-profile --enable-memory-profile --with-hdf5-path=/opt/cray/pe/hdf5-parallel/1.12.2.3/nvidia/20.7 --with-blas-libs=/opt/nvidia/hpc_sdk/Linux_x86_64/22.7/compilers/lib/libblas.so --with-lapack-libs="/opt/nvidia/hpc_sdk/Linux_x86_64/22.7/compilers/lib/liblapack.so /opt/nvidia/hpc_sdk/Linux_x86_64/22.7/compilers/lib/libblas.so" --with-fft-path=/opt/cray/pe/fftw/3.3.10.3/x86_milan --with-libxc-path=/global/common/software/nersc/pm-2021q4/sw/libxc/v5.2.2/alv-gpu MPIFC='ftn' MPIF77='ftn' MPICC='cc' MPICXX='CC' --enable-par-linalg --enable-hdf5-par-io --enable-open-mp

(then, in ./config/setup:
add -I/opt/nvidia/hpc_sdk/Linux_x86_64/22.5/cuda/11.7/include -acc -gpu=cc80,cuda11.7  -target-accel=nvidia80 to cflags
add  -target-accel=nvidia80 to fcflags and fcuflags)
As with the other post on compiling yambo for cpu, there seem to be weird errors incorporating slepc. Unfortunately this procedure only seemed to work for the newest yambo distribution from github - I tried applying it to yambo-5.1.0 or copying their slepc configurations over, but was not able to get it to work - there was always either a slepc-related compilation error or a cuda-related compilation error.
Miles Johnson

Nicola Spallanzani

Post by Nicola Spallanzani » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:17 pm

Dear Miles,
thank you very much for your help. Have you tried to compile also the version 5.1.2?

Best,
Nicola
Nicola Spallanzani, PhD