Scissor Corrections for LiF Tutorial

Concerns issues with computing quasiparticle corrections to the DFT eigenvalues - i.e., the self-energy within the GW approximation (-g n), or considering the Hartree-Fock exchange only (-x)

Moderators: Davide Sangalli, andrea.ferretti, myrta gruning, andrea marini, Daniele Varsano

c3031929

Scissor Corrections for LiF Tutorial

Post by c3031929 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:45 am

Hi,

I've been doing calculations on LiF from scratch using exactly the same Abinit set-up as the Yambo tutorials, and I've been using the Plasmon Pole GW run level to determine the QP gap corrections, and I get a gap correction of ~4.4eV. I have attached the input file for the GW run (with NGsBlkXp= 100 (which goes up to 113)), along with the other files obtained from that run. I push the GW runs as far as NGsBlkXp= 283.

In the tutorial the values used for the QP gap correction are 5.19 for RPA and 5.80 for BSE .

1) Would it be possible for someone to explain to me how these values were obtained and give some guidance as to why my values are different.

2) Also why were different values used for the RPA and BSE calculations?

Help is most appreciated.

Regards,

Daniel Walton
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Daniel Walton
Honours Student
Physics Department, University of Newcastle, Australia

myrta gruning

Re: Scissor Corrections for LiF Tutorial

Post by myrta gruning » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:38 am

Dear Daniel

I am not sure on how the values in the tutorial were obtained, but tutorials usually have an illustrative purpose, and the values used are not at convergence, so they should not be taken as reference for calculations.
From my GW calculations on LiF I remember that at a level of G0W0 one get a smaller gap by about 0.5-1 eV with respect to the experimental value.

I recommend you to study the behavior of the gap with respect to the other parameters as well (e.g. also wrt the polarization functions and the G bands range and k point mesh).
Also if you are just interested in the gap you don't need to calculate the corrections for all the bands!!

Code: Select all

%QPkrange                    # [GW] QP generalized Kpoint/Band indices
  1| 19|  1| 50|
%
You can limit the range to bands close to the gap. In convergence studies you can also choose just a particular k-point.

Regards,
Myrta
Dr Myrta Grüning
School of Mathematics and Physics
Queen's University Belfast - Northern Ireland

http://www.researcherid.com/rid/B-1515-2009