Susceptibilities

Deals with issues related to computation of optical spectra in reciprocal space: RPA, TDDFT, local field effects.

Moderators: Davide Sangalli, andrea.ferretti, myrta gruning, andrea marini, Daniele Varsano, Conor Hogan

afkemper

Susceptibilities

Post by afkemper » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:55 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if there is any way (using the information out of Yambo) to calculate the magnetic/spin susceptibility?

Thanks,

Lex Kemper
Lex Kemper
Department of Physics and QTP
University of Florida
Florida, USA

andrea marini

Re: Susceptibilities

Post by andrea marini » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:10 pm

afkemper wrote: I was wondering if there is any way (using the information out of Yambo) to calculate the magnetic/spin susceptibility?
Dear Lex,

the GPL version of Yambo is not spin resolved. As a consequence only charge susceptibilities can be calculated. There are undergoing projects in Yambo in order to make the code working with collinear and non collinear spins. When these projects will be embodied in the GPL source it will be possible to calculate generalized susceptibilities.
When is it going to happen ? Well, it depends on the feedback of the users. More the Yambo project will be succesful more effort we will spend in expanding and improving the GPL source.

Cheers

Andrea

P.S.:Lex, please, edit your signature adding your complete affiliation.
Andrea MARINI
Istituto di Struttura della Materia, CNR, (Italy)

afkemper

Post by afkemper » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:33 pm

Hi Andrea,

Thanks. What kind of feedback are you looking for, exactly?

Lex
Lex Kemper
Department of Physics and QTP
University of Florida
Florida, USA

andrea marini

Post by andrea marini » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:39 pm

afkemper wrote: Thanks. What kind of feedback are you looking for, exactly?
Dear Lex,

the release of Yambo has been for us of the team a sort of bet. In the sense that, at the moment, we are 4 developers and only one of us has a permanent position and we have all to work on our personal research activity. Thus we cannot devote too much time to give support, althought Yambo already takes us a lot of time.

Moreover, more code source means more possible bugs. At the moment I'm the only on that knows almost 90% of the code. The other developers are slowly getting familiar with the Yambo source. But we need time to setup a team that can answer more or less rapidly to the users' problems.

So, in my mind, feedback means, for example, to create a community of users (and developers) that help us with the code maintenance and with the forum, and to see publications made independently of us using Yambo.

Until now we are happy to see that the level of the posts in the forum is quite high. I am confident that the number of users will increase and that one day we will open to the community also other "hidden" parts of the code.

Cheers

Andrea
Andrea MARINI
Istituto di Struttura della Materia, CNR, (Italy)