How to choose BSSNEig in slepc solver

You can find here problems arising when using old releases of Yambo (< 5.0). Issues as parallelization strategy, performance issues and other technical aspects.

Moderators: Davide Sangalli, andrea.ferretti, myrta gruning, andrea marini, Daniele Varsano, Conor Hogan

jasonhan0710

How to choose BSSNEig in slepc solver

Post by jasonhan0710 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:05 am

Dear all,

I want to calculate the excitonic properties with BSE, however, the diagonalization solver consume too much memory. When I look into slepc solver, I am confused with the BSSNEig parameter. From the tutorial page, we know that
we will capture the lowest-energy BSSNEig states of the absorption spectrum. We set BSSNEig=4 since we know from the tutorial on how to analyse excitons that the first peak in the hBN spectrum is comprised of states 3 and 4
. It means we should do a diagonalization first to get the excitonic strength, which is impossible to implement. Can we get the excitonic strength by other method, for example, Haydock solver? If not, How to set BSSNEig in slepc solver?

Best,
Jason
Jason Han

Assistant Professor
Department of Physics
National University of Defense Technology
Hunan, China

Daniele Varsano

Re: How to choose BSSNEig in slepc solver

Post by Daniele Varsano » Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:53 pm

Dear Jason,
slepc it is an iterative method that provides you also the eigenvector. You need to indicate how many eigenvectors you want to calculate.
Of course, then the absorption will take into account also these eigenvalues.

The procedure I suggest you is to perform a Haydock calculation to have your spectrum and then use the slepc solver to have the eigenvector of the first excitons.

Best,
Daniele
Dr. Daniele Varsano
S3-CNR Institute of Nanoscience and MaX Center, Italy
MaX - Materials design at the Exascale
http://www.nano.cnr.it
http://www.max-centre.eu/