Out-of-plane absorption spectrum of a 2D material with a vertical intrinsic electric field

Deals with issues related to computation of optical spectra in reciprocal space: RPA, TDDFT, local field effects.

Moderators: Davide Sangalli, andrea.ferretti, myrta gruning, andrea marini, Daniele Varsano, Conor Hogan

WEIW

Out-of-plane absorption spectrum of a 2D material with a vertical intrinsic electric field

Post by WEIW » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:26 am

Dear Daniele,
I have been bothered by this problem.I have calculated the out-of-plane absorption spectrum of a two-dimensional ferroelectric material, and set the light direction to (0 0 1) and (0 0 -1) respectively. Logically speaking, for these two directions, the absorption intensity is different. However, the absorption spectrums I calculated are the same.
I followed this step to calculate and added the -r to generate a truncated coulomb potential. Step 1: Static screening Step 2: Bethe-Salpeter kernel Step 3: Include previous quasiparticle (GW) results.
I don't know where the problem is,Can you take a look at it for me?
The report file is attached below.

Best wishes,
Liu
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dr. LIU Hongling
School of Physics, Shandong University
Jinan, CHINA

Davide Sangalli
Location: Via Salaria Km 29.3, CP 10, 00016, Monterotondo Stazione, Italy

Re: Out-of-plane absorption spectrum of a 2D material with a vertical intrinsic electric field

Post by Davide Sangalli » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:54 am

Dear Liu,
have calculated the out-of-plane absorption spectrum of a two-dimensional ferroelectric material, and set the light direction to (0 0 1) and (0 0 -1) respectively. Logically speaking, for these two directions, the absorption intensity is different. However, the absorption spectrums I calculated are the same.
As far as I understand eps_{xx}=eps_{-x-x} by definition.
Indeed one computes the dipoles <i|x|j> and then

Code: Select all

eps_{xx} ~ |<i|x|j>|^2 
eps_{-x-x} ~ |-<i|x|j>|^2=|<i|x|j>|^2
~eps_{xx}

How can the two be different?

Best,
D.
Davide Sangalli, PhD
CNR-ISM, Division of Ultrafast Processes in Materials (FLASHit) and MaX Centre
https://sites.google.com/view/davidesangalli
http://www.max-centre.eu/