no bound exciton

Deals with issues related to computation of optical spectra in reciprocal space: RPA, TDDFT, local field effects.

Moderators: Davide Sangalli, andrea.ferretti, myrta gruning, andrea marini, Daniele Varsano, Conor Hogan

xixi

no bound exciton

Post by xixi » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:25 am

Dear all;
I always met such cases, the GW gap is smaller than the BS energy, that means the binding energy is minus, in some case, I strength the K sampling and the problem solved, but in many other cases, it didn't work, well, could anyone give some advice on this issue? how to determine a system whether can bind exciton or not? Thanks

Xi Zhu
Nanyang University
Singapore,639798

andrea marini

Re: no bound exciton

Post by andrea marini » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:08 pm

xixi wrote:Dear all;
I always met such cases, the GW gap is smaller than the BS energy, that means the binding energy is minus, in some case, I strength the K sampling and the problem solved, but in many other cases, it didn't work, well, could anyone give some advice on this issue? how to determine a system whether can bind exciton or not? Thanks
The fact that the GW gap is smaller that the lowest BS energy is not a problem, in general. There is no strict, exact rule to determine whether your system is gonna have a bound exciton. So, please, give us more details about your system: is it a metal, a semicondutor or an insulator. How large is the DFT/GW gap ? Home many atoms, which type of atoms .... and so on.

From a very very general point of view you could say
  1. larger the gap, larger the probability to have a bound exciton
  2. larger the dis-homogeneity, larger the probability to have a bound exciton
  3. metal = no bound excitons
  4. ...
Cheers

Andrea
Andrea MARINI
Istituto di Struttura della Materia, CNR, (Italy)